Is Online Gambling Legal in Florida?
At present, the Sunshine State of Florida doesn’t allow online casinos to operate with real money. But, if you’re looking for the excitement of slots, roulette, blackjack, and other games, you can register with a social online casino site.
These online platforms in Florida are purely for fun, meaning you don’t need to put your own money on the line or make any deposits.
That said, some online gambling platforms in Florida host sweepstakes, giving you the chance to participate in special games with real money and compete for cash rewards.
Are Sports Betting Legal in Florida?
For sports betting fans, however, online gambling could soon be on the horizon. For a brief moment in 2021, folks could place online sports bets through Hard Rock Sportsbook in Florida. But, a U.S. District Judge decided it didn’t quite line up with the state’s constitution and the federal Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. So, they had to pull the plug on it while they waited for an appeal.
Thanks to a 2021 agreement with the influential Seminole Tribe of Florida, the tribe might soon be able to offer legal sports betting both at their casinos and online, potentially even including mobile betting.
This new agreement, signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, stipulates that the Seminole Tribe will contribute a portion of their gaming revenue over the next 30 years. The Seminoles will become the sole license holder in Florida, but operators of pari-mutuel betting will also have the opportunity to forge their own agreements with the tribe.
Until this issue is resolved, Floridians won’t be seeing any promotional offers akin to those found with NJ online casino bonuses.
Who Regulates Gambling in Florida?
The newly established Florida Gaming Control Commission will be responsible for supervising online casinos in Florida. However, it’s worth noting that this new commission won’t have jurisdiction over casino gambling at Seminole properties.
At present, the primary regulatory authority in Florida is the Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering, which falls under the Department of Business & Professional Regulation.
Quick Flashback on Florida Online Casino Laws
Online sports betting had its moment in the sun in 2021 with Hard Rock Sportsbook. But a twist came when a US District Judge gave it a thumbs down, saying it was a no-go with the state constitution and some federal laws. So, they hit the pause button on that, at least for now.
Daily Fantasy Sports platforms? They’re in a gray zone. Officially, Florida hasn’t rolled out the red carpet for them, but they haven’t shooed them away either. They let Floridians play, and Florida’s pretty chill about it.
Oh, and for the horse racing fans, you can go online and place your bets on those majestic creatures. And if you’re feeling lucky, grab your online lottery tickets too!
Online Gambling in Florida
Currently, only six states permit online casino gambling:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
If Floridians find themselves in Michigan or New Jersey, they can enjoy online casinos there. However, when in the Sunshine State, social casinos provide an appealing alternative (or rather, a similarity to casino games, but without the cash prizes).
These social casinos offer a variety of games similar to those found in real money online casinos, including slots, table games, and even some live dealer games. The only catch is, you play with virtual money. Some of these platforms even let you exchange your winnings for cash prizes and gift cards through “Sweeps” contests, but the operation is entirely different from a conventional, real-money online casino.
When you create a social casino account, you’re given virtual chips. You can use these chips to play games and earn more chips by availing of daily promotions, completing tasks, or buying them. There’s also a social aspect to it.
Players are ranked on a leaderboard, and you can share your accomplishments on social media platforms like Facebook. The biggest social casinos have substantial social media followings, allowing you to interact with other players within the community.
Social casinos generate revenue through in-app purchases and advertising. They also act as promotional tools for real money online casinos like BetRivers and Caesars.
Florida Online Casinos vs. Social Casino
Right now, the Sunshine State of Florida can’t gamble online for real cash. But hey, who knows? Florida might shake things up with its laws soon.
If that happens, you’d probably be curious about how real online casinos in Florida stand against the social ones. So, here’s a little peek:
Social Casinos in Florida
- Packed with fun games to dive into.
- It’s all for fun; demo mode is the game!
- Enjoy casino style gambling but just without the cash
- Loads of bonuses and deals to grab.
- Getting actual cash from them? Kinda tricky and roundabout.
- Their game selection isn’t as vast as the real deal.
Potential Florida Online Gambling
- A massive buffet of casino games awaits.
- Play to win real bucks or just for kicks in the demo.
- Get bonuses that convert into real cash.
- But, watch out! Big losses can sneak up on you.
- They might have tons of games, but they can’t replace the vibes of land-based joints or the community feel of social online platforms.
In essence, they’re most likely offering the same online casino games as tribal casinos in Florida.
How to Sign Up for Social Casinos in Florida
Signing up with a social online casino gambling site is a straightforward process. Many of these sites are even accessible via social media platforms like Facebook.
You can visit their pages and click or tap “Play Game.” You’ll need to grant the provider permission to access your name and profile picture, and then you can start playing within the platform.
If you prefer to visit the social casino directly, you can do the following instructions here:
- Visit the social casino site by clicking the BET NOW link on this page and download the app via the App Store or Google Play on your mobile device.
- Click or tap on the Register or Play Now button to open the registration form.
- Some sites will ask if you want to sign up with Facebook, email, or Google.
- Choose a username and password.
- Provide some basic details, usually just an email address and date of birth.
- Decide whether you would like to receive promotional emails, and click to complete the form.
- If you are signing up via email, validate your address by clicking the link sent to your email.
- You can then start playing.
- Don’t forget the bonuses as well!
Best Social Casino Gambling Sites in Florida
We know it’s kind of frustrating to know that online casinos aren’t allowed yet in Florida.
However, these social casino sites just mimic the best experience you’ve had with real casinos. You could say this should be some sort of practice before trying out actual online casinos when that time comes in Florida.
Here are the top 5 social online casino sites in Florida you can try:
- Pulsz Social Casino Florida
- Gambino Slots Social Casino Florida
- Wow Vegas Social Casino Florida
Stake.us, undeniably the top online casino in Florida, is an online sweepstakes casino introduced by Sweepstakes Limited in 2017.
Based in Cypress, this engaging social gaming site operates on a sweepstakes model and provides players with Stakes Cash (sweeps coins), which they can accumulate and exchange for cash rewards.
- 250,000 Gold coins
- 25 Stake Cash + 250,000 Gold Coins
- 5% rakeback
- 100% Deposit Bonus up to $1000
If you’re checking out stake.us, you’re in for a treat! They’ve got games from big names like Pragmatic Play, and some cool ones from up-and-comers like Hacksaw Gaming. Whether you’re into wild animal-themed slots or epic adventures, they’ve got something that’ll catch your eye.
Your next favorite game might be waiting for you right here:
- Sweet Bonanza
- Wanted Dead or a Wild
- Gates of Olympus
- Sugar Rush
- The Dog House Megaways
BetRivers, the online sports betting and casino gaming branch of Rivers Casino Resorts is owned by a Chicago-based company, Rush Street Interactive. Their platform is accessible in Florida, offering a wide array of free online slots, table games, and even a few live dealer games.
The experience closely mirrors BetRivers’ real money casino gaming sites in Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
At this social online casino in Florida, you’ll find numerous exciting BetRivers Casino promo code offers. Each time you play games and enter contests, you’ll earn reward credits, known as Play Points.
Players can also participate in free daily bonus bingo games and extra spins to win site credit, referred to as VC$. Additionally, you can claim more VC$ by logging in every four hours.
This site offers a variety of social online casino games in Florida, featuring slots from renowned developers like Pragmatic Play, Greentube, Everi, Konami, Habanero, Booongo, NetEnt, AGS, and Red Tiger. Here are some of the games you can enjoy:
- Live Dealer Games from Evolution Gaming
Pulsz Social Casino
Pulsz is a social online casino where you can play over 300 games, including jackpot slots and Megaways titles. You play with virtual Gold Coins, and there are chances to win Sweepstakes Coins to play with.
If you’re successful, these Sweepstakes Coins can be exchanged for gift cards, providing a legal avenue for online gambling in Florida.
Pulsz offers bonuses through its loyalty program. You can also earn bonuses when you buy coins, and you’ll receive bonus coins for posting on social media.
Pulsz is in competition with other Florida sweepstakes casinos like Chumba and LuckyLand, so it’s motivated to offer attractive incentives to its players.
You can enjoy a variety of games, including:
- Video Slots
- Jackpot Slots
- Table Games
- Hold and Win
Gambino Slots Social Casino
Spiral Interactive, an Israeli company, launched this well-liked social casino, Gambino Slots, back in 2015. You can download its app from Google Play or the App Store, or access it as an app within Facebook. With over 900,000 followers on Facebook alone, it boasts a highly active social media community.
Gambino Slots Bonuses
As a new player, you’ll receive a welcome bonus of 100,000 coins and 200 spins. After that, you can unlock daily gifts and offers. The app features various leaderboard challenges, with top players standing a chance to win prizes.
You can also make in-app purchases for more coins as you aim to win prizes.
Gambino Slots Games
The games you can enjoy include:
- Video Slots
- Casino War
WOW Vegas Social Casino
WOW Vegas is a popular platform that blends social casino gaming with promotional sweepstakes play.
It provides a generous sign-up package, a user-friendly experience, round-the-clock support, and a wide selection of slots from top software providers like Pragmatic Play.
WOW Vegas Bonuses
There’s no need to deposit to play at WOW Vegas. However, if you spend $9.99, you’ll receive 1.5 million WOW Coins and 30 Sweepstakes Coins.
This package is typically valued at $29.99, so it’s essentially a 200% match deposit welcome bonus. You can use the Sweepstakes Coins to try to win real cash prizes.
WOW Vegas Games
You can enjoy a variety of games, including:
- Video Slot Machines
- Megaways Games
- Table Games
- Video and Online Poker
Chumba Social Casino
Chumba Social Casino is a popular online gaming platform in Florida. It offers a unique sweepstakes model that allows players to win real cash prizes while playing casino games.
It operates legally across most of the US, including Florida, under US sweepstakes law.
Chumba Casino offers a variety of bonuses. New players receive a welcome bonus of 2 million Gold Coins and bonus Sweeps Coins.
The platform also provides daily bonus sweepstakes opportunities and a chance to win additional Sweeps Coins through social media contests.
- Progressive jackpot slots
- Blackjack and Roulette
- Video Poker
- Dingo and Flambingo
Are Social Casinos Safe in Florida?
Playing at online social casinos in Florida is totally safe as long as you choose the reputable and licensed ones we’ve highlighted. These platforms utilize robust security measures like firewalls and encryption to protect your information.
Now, while Florida doesn’t have real money online casinos, you might think about trying offshore online casinos. But trust me, it’s better to steer clear of them. Why? Because they aren’t overseen by U.S. authorities.
This means there’s no one ensuring that the games are fair or that you’ll get your money if you hit the jackpot. So, for a safe bet, stick with Florida’s social online casinos.
How to Claim Winnings in Florida’s Social Casinos
At the top social online casinos accessible to Florida players, you’ll typically find two types of virtual currency:
- Gold Coins
- Sweepstakes Coins (aka Sweeps Coins)
Gold Coins are just virtual credits that you can use to play games for fun. On the other hand, Sweeps Coins lets you participate in special games like prize wheels, contests, challenges, and random prize draws.
If you win, you can redeem your winnings for real money prizes and gift cards.
How to Buy Gold Coins in Florida Social Casinos
Most Florida social casinos let you buy Gold Coins (their version of virtual currency). How? By using the usual suspects: credit cards, debit cards, bank transfers, and even e-wallets like PayPal.
Just hit that “Buy Coins” button, and you’ll find yourself in a virtual coin store. Pick your package, and voila! But hold on, you’ll need to prove you’re really you by showing them a photo ID, like your driver’s license.
Want to trade in those Sweeps Coins for real dough? Most of the purchase methods work for cashing out too, except some sites might give the cold shoulder to debit card withdrawals.
Common Payment Methods in Florida’s Social Casinos
- ACH Online Banking
- Apple Pay
Types of Legal Gambling in Florida
In Florida, these are the only forms of gambling allowed just yet:
- retail casino gaming
- pari-mutuel betting
- horse racing
- state lottery
While Daily Fantasy Sports aren’t explicitly permitted, operators like DraftKings and FanDuel do offer DFS contests in the Sunshine State.
In 2021, Florida briefly legalized online sports betting, but a legal challenge against its agreement with the Seminole Tribe resulted in the shutdown of the only online sportsbook.
What is the Legal Gambling Age in Florida?
In Florida, the legal age for gambling is 18. Once you reach this age, you’re allowed to buy lottery tickets, place pari-mutuel bets on horse racing, and play poker in designated poker rooms.
However, if you want to play games at a retail casino, you’ll need to be at least 21 years old. The same age requirement of 21 will apply to online gambling in Florida. This was the rule when the state briefly legalized online sports betting in 2021, and it’s expected to be the same for online casinos.
Floridians would need to confirm their age before creating a real money casino account, and some social casinos also require players to be 21 or older.
The Future of Mobile Casino Gambling in Florida
The future of online gambling in Florida might just hinge on mobile betting. Imagine, if sports betting gets the green light beyond the tribal casinos, folks in Jacksonville, Tampa, or Miami could be placing bets right from their iPhones or Androids.
And let’s chat about online casino games. Once they’re officially legal in Florida, spinning the slots or hitting the blackjack tables from your phone could be a reality. These games will be tailored for those nifty little screens we carry around. Need to add funds or chat with customer support? That’s all doable on your mobile too.
Chances are you’ll be able to snag an app for this directly from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Just sign in with your online account, fund it, and dive into the games. And here’s the cherry on top: cool bonuses like free spins, slots poker tournaments, and more. Plus, by playing more, you might just rack up loyalty points on your smartphone, getting you closer to those VIP perks.
However, there’s still a question mark over whether mobile sports betting would be allowed if it takes place off tribal lands. This could potentially conflict with existing tribal gaming laws. After all, the essence of mobile sports betting is the ability for gamblers to place bets anywhere within the state.
Possible Florida Online Gambling Sites Coming
Curious about what the online casino scene might look like if Florida suddenly changes its gambling laws? Here’s a breezy breakdown:
Hard Rock: If the Sunshine State opens its doors to online casinos, Hard Rock is bound to be first in line. They’d probably grab a license faster than you can say “all-in”.
Potential Major National Players
1. Caesars Casino: They’re big shots in the retail casino world, owning famous names like Caesars Palace and Harrah’s. After acquiring William Hill for a cool $4 billion in 2021, they ventured into online casinos. Newbies get $10 just for joining and a match bonus that could go up to $200. Also, they have a snazzy website and mobile app.
2. BetMGM: Ranking number one among online casinos in the U.S., BetMGM leads the pack in New Jersey and Michigan. Behind this name are two giants: MGM Resorts (think MGM Grand in Vegas) and Entain (holding online faves like PartyPoker). If they hit Florida, they’d bring over 1,000 top-notch games. Plus, new players could bag up to $1,000 as a deposit match bonus.
3. DraftKings: Initially famous for Daily Fantasy Sports, DraftKings later flexed its muscles in online sports betting. If they come to Florida, they’d bring a plethora of games and some thrilling promos. Sunshine and slots? Count us in!
4. FanDuel: They’re the biggest name in the U.S. online gambling scene. Besides sports betting and fantasy sports, they run online casinos in several states and even power Mohegan Sun’s online site in Connecticut. They might not have the vast game selection of BetMGM or DraftKings, but they cherry-pick the best. Also, they’re known for speedy payouts and tempting bonuses.
Land-Based Casinos in Florida
Florida is home to some fabulous land-based casinos. Whether you’re a slots enthusiast, a table games aficionado, or just looking for an exciting night out, the Sunshine State has something for everyone.
Here’s a more laid-back snapshot of the casino scene in Florida:
1. Seminole Casino Brighton
- Where? 17735 Reservation Road, Okeechobee, FL 34974
- Vibe: A cozy 27,000 sq. ft. gaming space. Owned by the Seminole Tribe, it has both table games and slots.
2. Seminole Casino Hotel Immokalee
- Where? 506 S 1 St, Immokalee, FL 34142
- Vibe: A spacious place with 75,000 sq. ft. dedicated to gaming. Slots and table games aplenty!
3. Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
- Where? 5550 NW 40 St, Coconut Creek, FL 33073
- Vibe: Large and bustling with 100,000 sq. ft. of gaming space.
4. Seminole Hard Rock Tampa
- Where? 5223 Orient Rd, Tampa, FL 33610
- Vibe: A whopping 245,000 sq. ft. of gaming area! Definitely the rockstar of the bunch.
5. Seminole Hard Rock Hollywood
- Where? 1 Seminole Way, Davie, FL 33314
- Vibe: A slightly more reserved 195,000 sq. ft. gaming haven.
… and the list goes on, featuring places like Magic City Casino in Miami (a cool racino with 40,000 sq. ft. of space), Tropical Breeze Casino in Port Richey (a more intimate setting at 13,000 sq. ft.), and the snazzy Casino @ Dania Beach boasting a massive 200,000 sq. ft.
No matter what part of Florida you’re in, there’s bound to be a casino nearby ready to roll out the red carpet for you.
Best Casinos in Florida That You Should Try
Florida has become an important destination for casino enthusiasts in recent times, and with the dominance of the Seminole Tribe, a distinctive casino culture has emerged.
Here’s a brief overview of the top five casinos in the state:
1. Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
- Location: Coconut Creek
- Highlights: A casino that goes beyond the traditional slot machines. With a wide range of table games and a top-notch poker room, it’s a favorite for many. The Seminole Wild Card enhances the experience by offering exclusive rewards.
2. Seminole Classic Casino Hollywood
- Location: Hollywood
- Highlights: A gaming space that captures the essence of classic casino games, featuring a substantial number of video slots and table games. The comp dollars earned from table games can be an additional treat, especially if you’re a frequent diner or visitor to Seminole properties.
3. Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa
- Location: Tampa
- Highlights: Showcasing the grandeur of the Hard Rock brand, this casino offers a vast gaming space. The massive payouts in 2021 highlight its popularity and the chances of walking away as a winner.
4. Casino at Dania Beach
- Location: Dania Beach
- Highlights: Standing out as a non-Seminole-owned property, this casino brings diversity to the casino scene in Florida. Offering a unique experience, it’s the go-to place for roulette enthusiasts and anyone looking to diverge from the typical casino vibe.
5. Casino Miami
- Location: Miami
- Highlights: A melting pot of Cuban culture, music legends, and exciting casino games. The Jai Alai and the renowned indoor arena add layers of uniqueness to the gambling experience.
Florida Online Casinos FAQs
7. WHAT FLORIDA CASINOS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A GAMING LICENSE?
- Tribal land casinos, mostly controlled by the Seminole Tribe, and racinos could be eligible for online gaming licenses should Florida change its stance on online gambling. The Seminole Tribe’s past exclusive online sports betting deal suggests they’d be a top contender for online casino licenses if the state permits them.
Florida’s stance on online gambling has been cautious, with a brief foray into the online sports betting market halted by legal challenges.
While residents can’t play with real money online currently, social casinos offer a legal and fun alternative.
No, there are no real money online casinos in Florida due to state laws. However, Florida residents can play at social online casinos, where no money is at risk. These platforms allow players to enjoy games, share achievements on social media, and engage with the community.
No, Florida does not currently have any legal online gambling operators. There was a brief period in 2021 when the Seminole Tribe launched online sports betting through its Hard Rock Sportsbook app, but this was ruled unconstitutional and ceased operations. Instead, players can use social casino sites.
Florida residents cannot gamble with real money online. However, they can use social online casinos like Gambino or BetRivers.net. These platforms offer similar experiences to real-money online casinos, including a range of games, but without monetary risk.
Currently, Florida doesn’t have legal online casinos or mobile apps. Six other states allow online casino gaming for real money. Floridians can visit social casino sites for a similar experience without real money transactions.
The legal gambling age is 18 for lottery tickets, pari-mutuel bets, and poker rooms. Retail casinos require patrons to be 21. Any future online gambling in Florida is likely to also have a minimum age of 21.
Retail casino gaming, pari-mutuel wagers on horse racing, and the state lottery are legal in Florida. The state also saw operators like DraftKings and FanDuel provide DFS contests, even though they aren’t expressly permitted. Online sports betting existed for a short time in 2021 but was halted due to legal challenges. There are no real money online casinos, but residents can use social casino platforms.
Tribal land casinos, mostly controlled by the Seminole Tribe, and racinos could be eligible for online gaming licenses should Florida change its stance on online gambling. The Seminole Tribe’s past exclusive online sports betting deal suggests they’d be a top contender for online casino licenses if the state permits them.